With the holidays and festive party’s underway, I thought I would share one of my absolute favorite side dishes, which is ALWAYS a huge hit and receives an abundance of compliments! *WARNING* Everyone will be asking you for the recipe!!! (Tip: Save it on your computer so that you can easily print or email it).
I often make this delicious vegan “side” dish when I’m hosting a dinner, or when I’m attending a potluck dinner party. It's so tasty!!! ... and all of the non-vegans absolutely love it!
This dish is meant to be served warm, but I serve it cold, as a side dish. I make it the night prior to serving it, then I refrigerate it overnight, allowing all of the ingredients to mix and settle nicely.
Like all of my recipes, this is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious dish which you can incorporate into your Holiday dinner menu. Let us know what you think, and don’t forget to tag @socialstepmom and @PurelyMebyMigueleMilicevic when you make it!
This dish is:
- Paleo and Keto friendly
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Soy free
- Sugar free
- Extremely low in fat (for liver love & detoxification) - Free of all allergens
- High in fibre
*NOTE: I doubled this recipe to make a larger batch!- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 Medium onion, finely diced
- 2 Medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Medium parsnips, peeled and finely diced- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup green lentils (dry/uncooked)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Raw Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp Raw coconut vinegar, OR apple cider vinegar, OR sherry vinegar
1. Rinse lentils and soak overnight (optional ... BUT ... I ALWAYS soak my beans/legumes, for optimal digestion).
2. Place lentils in a saucepan with 4 cups filtered water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for approximately 30 minutes (or until lentils are tender). Drain lentils and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Add the 1/4 water to a large pan. Add the onion, carrots and parsnips and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring often (add a splash of water if the pan gets too dry). Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Season to taste with salt, and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing mixture. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine the lentils, vegetable mixture and parsley. Stir well. Add the dressing mixture and stir well. Taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary.
6. Serve warm, or refrigerate overnight, and serve cold the next day (as I always do).
Don’t forget to tag me @PurelyMebyMigueleMilicevic when you make this dish!
*Serves 4-6 (I doubled the recipe to make a larger portion) *I used 100% organic ingredients, as always!
Yours in health, Miguële xo
Miguële Milicevic, of PurelyMe by Miguële Milicevic, is a wife, and mom of 2 young children. Miguële is Holistic Health Coach, a Health & Wellness expert and a Fitness Fanatic. She has been living an organic, plant-based, toxin-free lifestyle for over 20 years.
Through nutrition, Miguële has completely reversed her thyroid issue, MS symptoms, and Lyme Disease symptoms. She has also reversed her 7 year old daughter’s dermatitis condition, as well as her 4 year old son’s eczema. She and her family are living proof that proper nutrition can heal anything and everything.
Miguële specializes in creating delicious recipes which are all extremely healthy, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, soy free, and refined sugar free. Being a busy mom herself, Miguële understands the importance of creating recipes that are quick and simple to make, yet über healthy and nourishing. She will be sharing her wonderful recipes with the Social Stepmom community every Friday.
To get more amazing inspiration go to Miguële’s PurelyMe Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/purelyme_/
Or click on the pink icons below for Miguële’s awesome social media!